Sunday, June 20, 2010

Mansfield Park movie

Mansfield Park (1983)
BBC TV mini-series - 6 episodes
my 1st viewing

Director: David Giles
Writer: Ken Taylor
Based on book: by Jane Austen
Rating: 5

Sylvestra Le Touzel plays Fanny Price
Nicholas Farrell plays Edmund Bertram

A blip:
By far my favorite of this DVD collection. Loved Fanny! And, I can see why Jane Austen finds this character her favorite.

I was pleasantly suprised at how much I liked this film because I had a hard time reading the book. The read was one of those I kept putting down which lasted 6 months. Finally, I sat myself down and plowed through it. For me (in the book), the story picked up at the point where Mariah and Julia leave Mansfield Park and Fanny really starts to bloom.

Must be something about the interpretation or actually seeing Fanny in action that made me come to appreciate Fanny.

A bloop:
In a recent re-watch, I spotted an older Edmund as Mr Musgrove in Persuasion (2007).

And found out that an older Fanny played Mrs Allen in Northanger Abbey (2007).

Whether he is digging up the garden or laying on the chaise with Lady Bertram, Pug, steals the show!

~*~

I highly recommend watching this version if you want a refresher before my Mansfield Park Murder Mystery Dinner Party event, June 24-27, 2010.

* image source pug

* part of my Jane in June

* make sure to check out the main site for Book Rat's - Jane in June for all the reviews, interviews and giveaways galore!!!

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu