Friday, October 9, 2009

Wicked


Misty's Helluva Halloween's latest post, Spotlight On: Witches prompted me to give a shout out to Wicked, the musical.

In June, my birthday treat was to see the musical Wicked. I LOVED it! The music, set and costumes were absolutely spectacular. That said, my current favorite witch is Elphaba aka The Wicked Witch of the West.

The witches highlighted in the musical are:
Madame Morrible - headmistress at Shiz University
Elphaba - Wicked Witch of the West
Glinda - Good Witch of the North
Nessarose - Witch of the East (Elphaba's sister)

Along with emphasis on political issues in Oz, I enjoyed watching the friendship growth and alliance that forms between Elphaba and Glinda.

Another shout out: The soundtrack rocks! The songs I'm fond of are Dancing Through Life and Wonderful.


The musical is based on the book, Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire which I read a few years ago. It too is a great read. You get more of a backstory on all the characters. Also, this tale is darker and more serious than the musical.

And, nope. I haven't read the sequel, Son of a Witch: The Wicked Years by Gregory Maguire. Have you?





I'm on the waiting list at the library for this gem of a book, Wicked: The Grimmerie, a Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Hit Broadway Musical by David Cote.







* part of my Helluva Halloween challenge

* source of image: Kerry Ellis as Elphaba in Wicked (2007)
 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu