Monday, February 17, 2014

Dystopia Reading Challenge 2014

Dystopia
Reading Challenge 2014

hosted by Blog of Erised
details here

The premise:

Read post-apocalyptic dystopia books.

Level 1: Recruit (1 to 6 books)
Level 2: Rebel (7 to 12 books)
Level 3: Revolutionist (13 to 18 books)
Level 4: Leader (19+ books)

I will attempt the RECRUIT level and give my rating and brief comments below on the books read. So, this post will be updated throughout the year.

~*~

My reading list:

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
(The Lunar Chronicles series book 1)
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: 5
Wonderful take on the Cinderella tale with a cyborg twist. Plenty of action and intrigue that kept me glued.

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
(The Lunar Chronicles series book 2)
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: 5
This second book includes more action and introduces a couple more classic fairy tale characters (from Little Red Riding Hood).

Felt a Star Wars vibe with this story.

Cress by Marissa Meyer
(The Lunar Chronicles series book 3)
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: 5
Loved getting to know the characters Cress and Thorn more. And loved how the three couples interact and join forces.

~*~

When She Woke by Hillary Jordan
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: 5
Has an eerie tone. I like how things were resolved.

~*~

Allegiant by Veronica Roth
(Divergent series book 3)
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: 4
This story wraps up the trilogy pretty well. Lots of layers to this story and all is revealed. Boo-hoo ending.

~*~

The Only Boy by Jordan Locke
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: 5
Very engaging dystopia tale told in two voices. There are back and forth perspectives from main characters, Mary and Taylor which was effective in understanding the characters and their predicaments.

Got me thinking of the power of women and matriarchal societies.

~*~

The Revealed by Jessica Hickam
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: 4
Action and touch of romance in a world of the future.

The first half of the book concentrates on the main character, Lily - heroine in the making. I liked Lily's character development of a sheltered girl striving for her independence and starting to come into her own.

The second half of the book introduces more characters and reveals The Revealed - some of whom have interesting talents and amusing personalities. I'm guessing we will learn more about them in the the next book in this series.

A tinge of a Romeo and Juliet romance occurs in that the families are rivals. So, we are kept wondering if, how, when the love will happen.

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: 5
Aliens, YA survival and romance. Tough stuff.

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: 5
Loved how this story mixes romance, sci-fi, and YA.

The pacing and gradual transformation of the two main characters in this story is what I found appealing in this story of survival on a lonely planet. Through the eyes of each, you begin to fall in love with each.

Feed by M.T. Anderson
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: 4
Scary look into what it might be like to have an internet feed directly in the brain from a teen perspective.

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: 5
LOVED it and can't wait until book 2 is released!

It was like watching a game of chess. What I found fascinating about this book was the strategic moves made by the main characters. Kestrel was cunning in her dealings within her constraints and type of world she lives in.

The second main character and love interest, Arin, was just as interesting with his honesty and flexibility with his feelings and efforts towards a better future.

Panic by Lauren Oliver
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: 5
Fast paced with good characters and character development.

Alienated by Melissa Landers
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: 5
The experience presented was like having a foreign exchange student living in your home with the added twist - he (or it) is from another planet.

I found this to be a fun read that comes with people learning about each other and from moments that spark from a budding sweet romance.

There are some serious nitty gritty issues that this book ends with. So, next book is definitely required.

Moral Order: The Rise of Luca C. Mariner by Phil Pauley
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: 4
I found this to be a good start to a new series that takes place in the future that includes aliens.

A big cast is introduced and established well in this story. However, there is a focus on the main character, Luca, who holds special abilities and qualities that presents him as good hero for this series.

Alliances and friendships are made and strengthened amidst action scenes.

I was tickled to encounter a kind of black smokes monster that shows up in the story that reminded me of the black smoke monster from the tv series Lost.

And, there is a spark of a budding romance.

The Bodies We Wear by Jeyn Roberts
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: 5
Issues about rehabilitation, revenge, death and love are masterfully intermingled and dealt with in this tale of a girl who survives an addiction.

Interesting paranormal action and activity comes into play in some scenes that help the main character come to terms with internal conflicts of the past.

Loved how things were not necessarily black and white.

The main character, Faye, is such a strong fighter and survivor. She is another one of those gals who I'm adding to my list of kick-ass fiction heroines.

~*~

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
(Delirium series book 1)
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: tba
coming up

~*~

The Faustian Host
Apocalypse Signs by Dave Becker
Amazon | Goodreads
-my rating: tba
coming up

~*~

Feel free to comment and let me know if you liked or disliked any of these books, etc.

 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu